Re: [Seattle] Melbourne W2 involved in accident

Andrew Price wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:01:36 +1200, David McLoughlin
> <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Clem Jones deliberately scrapped Brisbane's trams to push people off
> >public transport into private cars.
>
> Why did he do that?  Did he have interests in the road-building or
> construction industries?

No, he described himself as a working class Labour man who wanted
working people to drive their own cars, not use public transport.

There were some shady deals done over an oil refinery and the financing
of the buses which replaced the trams, but I have never seen any
suggestions Clem got any kind of backhander.

I would like to know though who was responsible for the arson of the
Paddington Depot which was used as the excuse to begin the dismantling
of the tramway system.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand