Re: Myths, lies and half truths Was 3802, 3820, R711, R761

I got the tounge lashing I deserved, but I dun like beer. I've been 18 4
weeks now and still havent touched the stuff

Brendan

Rod Young <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<390a8733$0$27499@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Mexicans made the mistake of choosing broad gauge as their standard, I
> > hear from a Melbournian that there are plans to use standard gauge for
> > everything outside the MET . . .
> >
> > At least the right gauge was picked for the trams  .  .  .
> >
> > Have I just stirred up something? :)
> >
> > Brendan
>
> You sure did sonny!
> Go read your history again, because you are dead wrong!
> NSW actually picked the rail gauge of 5ft 3in, and negotiations between
the
> tree major Governments decided on this gauge as an Australian Standard.
> South Australia and Victoria [both Governments had already decided on
SG!]
> went ahead building their Railways and Rolling Stock and Carriages were
> sourced from England. During the long sea voyage of this stock, NSW was
> still busy building Pubs and Brothels and letting their entrepreneurs
make
> heaps of money, and there was no sign of a Railway.
> The Minister of transport sacked the Engineering staff and the
replacement
> Engineer changed NSW from BG to SG the same as his native English
Railways