Re: [NSW] Pippita

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:2IcO4.276$mK.718270@news0.optus.net.au...
> "Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
> 390953cc$0$27523@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:390953cc$0$27523@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > A few questions about this little known station on the access line to
> Olympic Park
> >
> > 1. What was this station used for?
>
> It was the end of electrification for the Abbattoirs branch. I believe it
> was used by workers at some companies near where the line crossed
Parramatta
> Road.

Wrong, the Saleyards were electrified right through.

There were several sidings that were shunted at Pippita, the major one being
Dairy Farmers milk. There was also a siding for Ford cars, and (from memory)
a meatworks. I understand there was also a siding for the brickworks. It was
a busy place years ago !! (Including the little platform for local workers).

The milk was all that was shunted at Pippita towards the end, and during the
demise of the Homebush Saleyards.

The station itself was used to terminate or turn suburbans, and as a handy
place to turn diesels.

Regards,
Russ.