Re: Dubbo XPT hits truck

In article <3908206B.A2A4F7AE@yahoo.com.auNOSPAM>,
  Nobodyhere <dweebken@yahoo.com.auNOSPAM> wrote:
> I was a touch sarcastic about the lobbying for boom gates. I know that
> they would not be that effective. But only a touch. This is where we
do
> the trusty comparison. In many overseas countries, the boom gates they
> use go the full length across the road. It would take an unlucky stall
> or deliberate vandalism for that to occur there.
>
> The "mexican" system could work, where the train signal prevents
trains
> going over a crossing which is not active, but it's not foolproof. It
> doesnt mean people wont still be on the crossing.
>
> The driver of the truck was 72 years old. He may have had some health
> problems at the time of the crash. Who knows? Let the inquiry decide
> that.
>
> As for the right wing saying it's too expensive, unfortunately most
> legal, political and rail institutions are run by the right wing.
>
> What are they going to do about level crossings on the Melb - Darwin
> link, where trains could be moving at up to 200 km/h?
Don't build that line would be a good idea...cost 13 Billion dollor and
at most you get are 3 trains....why not spend 13 billion$ on upgrade
current network which winding, with heaps of steep grades, signals and
infranstructure dated from last century and is desparately need cash to
stay competitive with trucks.

Anyway there are potential for this sort of disastor just about
everywhere. QR's tilt train route, XPT/Xplorer routes. Construct over
bridge might be a good idea for routes with trains exceeding 130kph, it
would be expensive but ensure minimum contact with road.

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/