> > All,
> > From memory, the Camden-Campbelltown branchline used to have some 1 in 20
> > grades that required 2 20 class tanks to handle a 2 car train.

I have a picture of 3 20's hauling what appears to be a DUB set to
Maryfields and that is before the steepest part! (The train terminated
and went back to Campbelltown.)
Another one of a 41 class being asisted but I can't remember what the
steam locos were.

> I think that the grade was actually 1 in 18 on Kenny (or Can't he) Hill.
> Railway Rasputin would be the better source of info there.

I'll have to get back to you on that one. I have to find my data.

> The story goes that a good Saturday Night's entertainment for the (then
> :-) ) local youths was to go and buy half a pound of grease. Don't know
> how true that one is.

Not to mention playing havic with level crossings.

>  I think it
> > had the reputation of being the steepest grade on the NSWGR.
>
> It would have been- but it was technically classed as a tramway. Then
> again it was worked by normal locomotives and (I guess) it would have
> been under the control of the same people as any other railway in the
> state. Matter of opinion really...

It was a tramway with a nick name of Pansy or Patsy depending on where
you lived.
Tramways were no frills railways. Infastructure was not as costly as a
railway. For example at Yass the platform was at ground level. In some
signal boxes/lever frames one sometramways, one lever did the points and
signal in one hit and there was no Facing point lock. The rail was light
and the track was often of "pioneer" status.
In other words, a cheep way out.

rgds