Track Quality and ride

There has been talk in other threads about track sleeper combinations
and ride quality etc. I have a question about the Illawara lines. Why
is it that the local lines, which were relaided around late '96 seem
to have a much smoother ride to them compaired to the mains?. Also
they have a very different noise to them as well. I know at leat one
of the mains uses concrete and both locals use concrete but they are
very different. I used to travel daily from Rockdale to Kingscross and
return and the afternoon train, usually the one around 16:10 to
Thiruoull (sp?) always uses the locals.
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright