Re: Driver Only Operation

Jeff <jschmidtNOjsSPAM@tpgi.com.au.invalid> wrote in message
news:08ba9b92.3a2cf3e3@usw-ex0102-013.remarq.com...
> Curious as to how widespread Driver Only Operation is in
> Australia. Not so much interested in suburban networks but
> rather in mainline operations, what safe working systems are in
> place, traffic density, speeds, typical train loads and a
> general idea of the territory, mountainous, flat etc. Thanks for
> any infoââ,¬Â¦..

Driver Only Operation is *almost* in place between Cloncurry & Mt Isa (NW
Qld), and AFAIK, it is proposed for Hughenden & Cloncurry.

The safeworking system is DTC (Direct Train Control).  This could be
described as "A poor mans' CTC", with numbered "Block Limit" boards, rather
than signals.  Points are of the Trailable Facing variety.

Each Loco has a laptop with a "DTCloco" program, and the Train Controller
(Far West Control, Townsville) has a PC with a "DTCController" program.
Authority for a section is given by the driver enterering a number (given by
the controller) into his/her laptop.  The program then displays another
number, which the driver reads back to the controller.  This generates
another number on the controllers' display, which he gives to the driver.
The train number, drivers name, and blocks authorised are then displayed on
the drivers laptop.  No authority can be given if the wrong number is
entered.

Traffic density:  approx 3-4 trains each direction daily,  maximum speed
80kph.
No idea of the tonnage, would guess a fully laden train would be around the
2000t mark.

The terrain between Hughenden and Cloncurry is - without exaggeration - as
flat as a pool table, and the line is basically a straight line between the
two depots.  In contrast, I would describe Cloncurry-Mt Isa as 'hilly' - not
anywhere near Toowoomba Range/Blue Mountains/Adelaide Hills territory - but
enough to keep your attention, and require more than occasional use of the
dynamic brakes!

There are procedures in place in the event of train breakdowns/partings/loss
of communications, etc.

One of the issues in the Cloncurry-Mt Isa section is the lack of good roads
to and from the permanent way, and this has no doubt influenced the decision
to fit certain locos with GPS receivers/transmitters, and these advise the
train controller of the approximate position of the loco.  These are not
accurate enough to be used as a form of safeworking (accuracy is plus or
minus 100m, and naturally enough, only shows the position of the loco, not
the end of the train) but are used as an aid to the controller, and would
undoubtably come into play in the event of an emergency.

Hope this is of help,

--
John McCandless
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...