Re: Melbourne or General rail FAQ's

Fleetwood Mac Attack wrote:

> I catch the train to work everyday, and I've gotten curious about what
> is going on as I make my journey...
>
> Really basic stuff......like what's that "badoom badoom" noise as the
> train speeds along the track,

Those are the wheels going across rail joiners.  There is a slight gab, which
causes a hammering sound.

> how do "through-lines" work

Please expand the question.

> and most
> importantly (sort of) what is that burst of air that the train lets
> out as it's about to leave the station....

Difficult to answer this one.  It could be a number of things.   The C and K
sets let out a short loud burst of air just as the doors are closing.  This is
the Main Reservoir air dryer.  The more likely answer that you are looking for
is that the Electro-Pneumatic braking system is exhausting air from the brake
cylinders, thereby releasing the brakes, allowing the train to move.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au