Re: [Melb] Latest Docklands pix

David McLoughlin wrote:

> [...]
> As usual thanks for your pix. It is interesting to see the continued
> re-use of steel spanwires with insulators after all those years of using
> synthetic span wires without insulators.

Weird.  I hadn't been aware of this being done anywhere; I had always
ass-u-med that the problem with using synthetic ropes without insulators
is that the ropes can become saturated with water in wet weather,
causing electrical leakage.  (Insulators seem designed so that parts
of them stay dry even when rain is falling on them.)

--
           David W. Barts (davidb@scn.org) / http://www.scn.org/~davidb
                               Oakland, CA, USA