Re: [NSW] Automated "Stand clear, doors closing"

--
Ray McDermott   raymcd@ozemail.com.au
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote in message
> Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> writes:
>
> >Why couldn't it be set up as such that there is a separate mechanism to
> >control the announcement and the actual door closing?
>
> I don't know - no drivers or guards had any input into the design (as
usual)
> of the modifications until it was completed and installed in a few trial
> sets.

We don't need inputs from drivers and guards; just send SRA engineers to
Tokyo or Paris or Singapore (or any of the many cities which have a decent
system) to learn how to make suburban railways (including doors) work.  Most
places have external door-open indications and the trains cannot go if a
door is open.  It took the SRA (NSWGR) 30 years to learn how to make PODs
fairly reliable.  It seems we now have the same scene with destination
indicators.

Ray