Re: [Melb - Trams] Route 86 extension

In article <110F4.59918$3b6.235204@ozemail.com.au>, Daniel Bowen
<dbowen@#DELETE#custard.net.au> writes
>"David McLoughlin" <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Ian Jelf wrote:
>> > In article <1mmE4.58796$3b6.231868@ozemail.com.au>, Daniel Bowen
>> > <dbowen@#DELETE#custard.net.au> writes
>> >
>> > Is that all?   My heart bleeds for you!   :-))
>>
>> Ha! Looking at the timetables, many of Melbourne's tram lines run every
>> four or five minutes in peak hours.
>
>Many of the Swanston Street routes are more like every 8 minutes in peak
>time. And that's timetabled - reality is somewhat different on a cold wet
>July evening about 6pm when you're peering down Glenhuntly Road waiting for
>the 67 home!
>
>> Serious question, how often does Midland Metro run?
>
>They're aiming for every 6 minutes; at the moment, 10. See
>http://www.centro.org.uk/centro587364/home/frame.html
I was just about to say that, Daniel!   (But I've been working away all
weekend and you beat me to it!)

As Daniel says, MM was inaugurated with a ten minute service, which was
supposed to be uprated to every six minutes "in due course".   That - to
the best of my knowledge - hasn't happened yet.   It may be that there
are still trams to be delivered.   I say that because one passed by on a
lorry on the motorway on Friday when I was waiting to meet my tour
coach.

>You might not have expected the answer from me! I was in Birmingham last
>year - Ian showed me around and we went for a ride on it.
Among a few other things!   Daniel and his family were some of the few
people I've ever been able to take on a tour using public transport.)

> Low-floor vehicles
>are terrific when you're pushing a pram!
Having trams in one's home city praised by a Melburnian gives me a
lovely warm feeling inside, I can tell you!

It looks as though I'll be coming to Melbourne for the first time next
year, so try to keep as much of the interesting "old" stuff running at
least until then, folks!   (Though I'm just as eager to see your newer
developments).

In the meantime, any Australians coming to the UK are cordially invited
to a ride with me on Midland Metro, work permitting.   I won't even
throw tomatoes at you.......   :-)
--
Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, UK