Re: [VIC] Heidelberg Re-signalling & Service alterations

HXP1 wrote:

> Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Sam Eades wrote:
>
> > > As previously mentioned, the new signaling at Heidelberg will be
> > > commissioned this weekend (01 and 02 April) and the old signaling and
> > > signal frame will be decommissioned.
>
> > How do they get the frame out of the building?  Dismantle it bit-by-bit?
>
> In a word, yes.
>
> One the Signalling was booked out, at about 2100ish,

Interesting, I didn't think they would have booked it out until last train..

> the frame was taken to
> pieces.  First the locking, tappets & troughs were removed, followed by the
> floorplates, levers, cam & lever locks, starting at one end.  This took
> several hours, as lever locks on every lever slow things down.  Then the
> tricky bit.  The 2 shafts in the frame (for the levers & the cams) are
> continuous, so the standards have to be slid to each end of the frame &
> lifted out.  Lastly the 2 beams of Oregon timber that the frame sat on came
> out, getting these out around the corner through the door without destroying
> poor Mr Westinghouse's shiny new panel was slightly tricky to say the least.

I wouldn't have expected the timbers to come out, but then again, all frames
were built independant of their buildings. (Usually the last thing standing
too..)

> 'Twas finished by about 0600ish on Saturday morning.
>
> Incidentally, the Frame has gone to a new home in Gippsland.

Thats even more interesting, I believed the frame was heading North and then
slightly south of Yass :)

> --
> HXP1
> (now with v6.08 software)

Were there new signals put in place (to replace the old "R" type signals at the
down end)?

I know that there was a hybrid on the Up as well, the Auto on the approach to
Heidelberg on the single line had an "R" type A head, and a shiny GEC "B" head
when the last alterations were done.. wonder if that was replaced ??

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  Never be afraid to try something new.