Re: (NSW) Set classification

"trendy rechauffé" wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere that the S sets originally stood for Suburban
> and U stood for Urban (during the 1950s and 60s).
All very well but the S sets we know now, came out 1970's

> Also I think the V may have stood for the Vacuum toilets that were fitted to
> the cars.

Vacum? I don't think they are vacum.

> Could G stand for Gosford as that's where many are stored? That would be
> like the old H sets at Hornsby etc...

No, how do you explain Mortdale sets?
The clasification of sets that describe their features have to be across
the board not because of one or two do some thing special. Then you
would have to have W sets for the 'gong.
BTW towards the end of their lives, all single deckker trains became H
sets. The depot classification was scrapped.

> bye tr

rgds