Alice Springs, 1-2/3

Aus loco discussion mailing list

3AL7N sneaked in without me hearing it yesterday evening: by the time I
paid attention to the scanner, I realised they were already shunting (or
just arriving in the yard?).  I raced down trackside just after 1900, to
see NR109 on the head of a double-stacked 5-well set / single-stacked
5-well set / flat / 2 x 5-packs / 2-pack / 2 flats / 3-pack / 5-pack
with centre well / 2 flats = 35 wagons.  I feel it hadn't long arrived
as the first move is generally to split the train to clear an access
road crossing the yard: this was still to be done when I arrived.  Any
other shunting (Mereenie tanks, motorails, LPG tanks) usually follows
this.

As is the norm, NR109 would have headed 5LA6N south this morning.  DL39
has slept in yet again.  Two more freight arrivals, one departure, plus
tomorrow's Ghan to see before I head back home to my poor little cat
(but who's counting?).  Yay!

Regards,

Peter Donaghy
Relieving Manager, Alice Springs