Re: Canb - Syd Sightings: 29/02/2000

Aus loco discussion mailing list

"Melanie J. Dennis" wrote:

> although station work along the way was slick (often under one minute), safeworking requirements on the Canberra - Goulburn section took between 2 and 4 minutes; Tarago being the worst in both directions.

This is because the driver has to get the staff and use the phone and fill in the train register book in the main part of the station, and go right to the Canberra end to set the signals.

> A trip west to Granville, saw 8215, 8230 and 8153 (or 2) at the east end of Clyde yard.  Heading back into town, 42220 with three cars shot past us around Strathfield at 16:04.

42203 was leading 42220.   42203 was in idle.

> Back at Central, a five car Exploder set EA? - EB? - EC2523 - EA2506 (missing some side-skirt panels) - EC2526 sat in platform 1 and departed before us - is this the service that splits at Werris Creek?

That is the train that goes to the XPT centre to wash and fuel and decant.  It did come from Moree/Armidale.

> Timekeeping on the return journey was much the same as the trip up whilst trying to identify passing workings in the dark was almost impossible.  Two hopper trains and one steel train were passed between Campbelltown and Goulburn but the most common sightings were the backs of my eyelids.  Arrival back in the ACT was slightly late.  One must ponder on the consistently late running:  a)  is the timetable too tight?,

yes.

> b)  do track conditions prevent time being recovered?

yes.

> or c)  are the Xploder cars underpowered when fully loaded?

yes.

> Anyone care to comment?

yes.

--