Alice Springs, 26-27/2

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Good morning to all on this fine sunny day (yes, it's cleared again
after another wet week).

I paid a visit to the local NR office on Friday afternoon and obtained a
bit of info for an upcoming overview I'll put together on operations in
the area.

The Friday evening 5AL7N arrival IS a permanent cancellation due to lack
of loading.

On Saturday, NR33 began shunting loading for Sunday's 1LA6N around 1700,
and finished at 2100, just as 6AL7N pulled into the yard.

6AL7N arrived a couple of hours late on Saturday evening: NR54 / NR108
(back to back) / 5-pack with one empty slot / 4 x 5-well sets all double
stacked / 12 single flats / 2-pack / flat / 3-pack / 3 x 5-packs with 3
empty slots / open wagon with a container / 3 x 5-packs / 4 Mereenie
tanks = 78 wagons, arrived 2101.  Much creaking and groaning from
suspensions and couplers, plus heaps of magnificent flange squeal, as
this train crawled into the yard.

I set my alarm for 0415 this morning so I could see the 1LA6N departure,
but forgot to turn it on (D'OH!), and awoke just after 0500 (double
D'OH!).  NR33 and DL39 are still here, so it was the pair off last
night's arrival that went home.  Loading being assembled on Saturday
would have been about 60-70 wagons.

Regards,

Peter Donaghy
Relieving Manager, Alice Springs