Re: GM1,602 & Anniversary IP

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Aus.loco'ers,
In connection with the 30th Anniversary IP, I wonder if a 'correct' 1970
motive power roster could be raised from active or preserved class
representatives ?.  From my copy of William A. Bayley's "Standard Gauge
Railway Across Australia", which chronicled in part the inaugural
journey, the motive power used included 2 x 46 class (Sydney-Lithgow),
42106/421?? (poss. Lithgow/Broken Hill), 604/603 (Broken Hill-Port
Pirie), CL1 (Port Pirie-Kalgoorlie ?), and L260/L? (Kalgoorlie-Perth).
  For a slight diversion from matters engineering and mechanical, Bayley
also includes a Toast inspired by the gauge unification. Some may think
it amusing, others pompous, others again prophetic. It reads:

"WE TOAST
The gleaming silver strand that links the Indian-Pacific and makes
Australia one.
We in the dim and distant future see:
    The silver link that brings earth-bound speed, comfort and commerce
to link the Timor with the Southern Sea;
    And yet another trans-Australia band to link the Timor with the
Tasman".

People of Sydney, keep taking your medication;
Our Olympic visitors must suspect nothing.