Re: G517 & G518

Aus loco discussion mailing list

No-one would hear me complaining either especially if they were done up as
great as the two that were recently refurbished, but they're no longer FV's
to be resurrected!  I saw C503 on Sunday at Junee, and it looks in good
condition.  Apparently in quite good condition internally too, [except that
it has a broken crankshaft which makes it a little less than usable and
probably a lot expensive to fix].

Does anyone recall when and how C503 has it's fatal failure, and how long
it has been at Junee?

According to the tour guide I spoke to yesterday morning at the roundhouse,
NR are proving to be quite slow at deciding what to do with the loco.  The
preservation group at the roundhouse are keen to find out what NR are
planning, so that if it isn't to be resurrected, the cab can be opened up
and be a part of the tour.  The was also mention of getting it looked at
with a view to fixing it up, but again, waiting on NR to decide...

Btw, did the two C's which have recently been done up in Melbourne have or
need any sort of _mechanical_ refurbishment?

Thanks,
Reuben

PS.  Bob...where is the photo at
http://www.sydney.cyber.net.au/~mainline/ausloco.html taken?