Short North Bits / IP Party

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Good evening,

After a recent glut of Short South sightings (thanks Danny and Ivar) time to redress the balance. :-)

Two observations through Hornsby on the Down tonight.

At 2002, 8241 + 48111 on a string of what looked like cement wagons plus the sugar wagons for Grafton. Does 1627 to Grafton still run as a separate train?

At 2030, solo 8113 with a long string of containers, including many P&O ones.  This has got me thinking - the normal "shippers train" is the NRC service -SB3.  But I'm fairly certain 8113 isn't one of the NRC allocation, so it must be Freightcorp. Is this the Freightcorp service to Fisherman's Island?   It wasn't the Narrabri/ Wee Waa cotton train, as it normally has containers riding in battered gondolas.  This load was mostly flats, with many shipping lines prominent.  Confirmation of this appreciated.

Lastly, at Parramatta this afternoon, saw (and photographed) WL1 from the roof of our Marsden St building, running about 10' late, with NR52 + NR30.  Many of the 25 carriages trailed streamers from the party at Central for the 30th anniversary run.  Channel 10 news ran it, with coverage of Gough Whitlam and Ian Sinclair doing the honours. (Now there's a double act!).

Cheers,

Paul