Central, 20th Feb

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Hello

I was seeing relatives off at Central Sunday evening, and there was a
'vanilla' NR (charcoal\marigold) sitting near the Mortuary Station.  Why
would this unit be there ?

Also on hand were the recently arrived Armidale/Moree Xplorer, the departing
Canberra Xplorer, and the recently arrived Griffith service.  This train
featured 42203, which might most kindly be described as having a kind of
'jaded elegance' in its candy livery, spotted with applications of brown
primer, a Freightcorp blue air intake unit (?) and loco numbers which look
like they've been applied with a tube of toothpaste.  Probably a contender
for the NSU58 award for most battered diesel loco. While I find this loco
interesting, its condition makes one wonder how committed Countrylink is to
the Griffith train.

On that front, there are stories that XPT coaches are to be ordered for the
Broken Hill service.  What State Rail loco could be used to haul them ?
Could a hired EL be used ?

Cheers

Ben