Ghan Preservation

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Sorry, all: forgot to add to the previous posting: I popped out to the
Ghan preservation group yesterday afternoon and asked how the rain had
affected them: I'm told they have about a 1km washaway a few kms south
of their terminus.  Where three creeks meet, a culvert has been washed
away, leaving a heap of track hanging in air.  As usual, it's trees
washed down by the floods that have done the damage by blocking the
water flow.  They still hope to have things fixed for the recommencement
of running on March 1st, but with rain continuing today, I think they
might struggle.  Prisoners from the local jail are used as additional
labour.  Earth-moving equipment is usually borrowed from the roads
department, but they probably would need everything themselves at the
moment.

NR must still have a few restrictions also, as their freights are
regularly arriving an hour or so late, whereas they were always an hour
or so early before the rains came.

Regards,

Peter Donaghy
Relieving Manager, Alice Springs