Medway train this afternoon

Aus loco discussion mailing list

After spotting DL49+DL47 pulling out of Port Kembla North with the limestone train to Medway at 1605 I drove over to Unanderra to get a photo. After waiting for a V set to head south it came crawling up the hill out of Unanderra at 1620 and stopped at the signal just up the hill from the bridge over the Princes Highway. After sitting for 5 minutes it attempted to depart but, apart from lots of of loud GM noise, nothing happened. One of the crew got out and went between the locos, then the other one got out as well. I assume they were fixing the jumper cables as the train then successfully departed, still working very hard to get moving. Those 40 year old BHP coal hoppers must be quite heavy even when empty. I hadn't even got halfway back to the car when I heard another train coming. This time it was 8136+8165? with rake GT6 on an empty grain using the bi-di signalling and coming up the hill on the up track. The 81s were going considerably faster than the DLs so they probably won the race to get in front before the single track at Dombarton.
Regards,
Chris.
ps If one of our regulars on the south could give me the train numbers I would appreciate it.

EOM

NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify postmaster@bhp.com.au.