Re: next weekend? Diesels in the Underground.

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Another reason is that a recently overhauled smoke/fire detection
system installed ay Wynyard and Town Hall is acticated by the exhaust
from diesels. I was on Wynyard platform to video the GSPEwhen it
worked through the underground on its way to Lavender Bay during its
first visit to Sydney in 1998, and about an hour before hand a team of
firemen, etc, arrived to turn the system off and then positioned
themselves around the platforms to manually check for any fires that
may have started during the period the system was deactivated. One of
them told me that it would take nearly an hour after the train had
past for the fumes to disperse enough before the system could be
turned back on. It must have cost a fortune just to have all these
guys standing around for two or more hours.
I can recall videoing two 44s that came to a stand at the entrance to
Town Hall platform with the express from Grafton during Easter 1993,
and when they powered up and blasted through the station not only was
the noise deafening but the exhaust fumes were so thick that
visibility was reduced dramatically and many people waiting for trains
had to stagger up to street level for fresh air - it certainly made
for a great piece of video!!!!!!