Re: Exeter last night

Aus loco discussion mailing list

>As a relatively new Subscriber to AusLoco  ;~)
>I am reasonably familar with the train #'s in all states, but I personally
always have a bit of trouble identifying the train compositions associated
with these train #'s.
>Especially, when the train #and composition can change from time to time !!
>Maybe its a good time to establish a bit of a 'Quick' criteria !!
>Suggestions :-
>Dn = Down
>Up = Well !!
>MT = Empty (A fairly WW method of identifying 'EMPTIES')
>Cons = Containers (As in a ISO context. . Standard International Containers)
>            E.G. AUSTRAC !!   Export Rice out of Echuca !!  ASR's BG
'contract' . . .  ETC
>Modal = Intemodal (As in an Aus context. . Most of NR's 'High-Wheelers' as
well as . . ASR's TOLL's . .etc )
>The simple ones :-
>Wheat = Wheat (or any type of grain, excluding Rice)
>Coal = Coal
>Oil = Oil (Any type of 'liquefied' fuel)
>Ore = Ore Concentrates (Regardless of whether its Iron Ore, Lead, Zinc . .
ex BH, Cobar, TomPrice or FV's 9137/9138. )
>Stock = Really only QR, nowadays.
>Logs = A bit of a new one !!
>Rice = Really only FV, nowadays.
>Cotton = Really only StateRail, nowadays
>Goods = As in a mixture of any of the above !!
>              (Personal preference is for the term 'Goods' rather then
'Freight')

Freight for contemporary stuff and Goods for the pre privatised railways.
Perhaps reports could be in a standard form -
location; time; direction; train #; locos; consist; notes.
Also please mention which state when it could be confusing. Most of us know
where Exeter is and most of us know that superfreighters at Epping must be
NSW and not Vic but some newbies may not, lets make it easier for them.
And please keep the reports (and trains) coming.
Cheers

Kevin Lawrence