Re: S313 (was Santa Fe fever hits Melbourne)

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Well put it this way, if S313 ran the tour last Saturday in V/Line livery,
how much interest would have there been in it. There are still three FV S's
running around in this livery, so being in a new livery certainly attracted
the interest from many - It got me (and many others) out early that morning
to see it. Even if it was painted in VR livery, haven't we seen it all
before. A new livery is always a center of attention and how many more extra
passengers did it attract to the tour. Dose everything have to preserved in
VR livery, I don't think so (as long as at least one member from each
preserved class has been correctly restored). For instance, is there really
a need for three 'high nose' T class to be restored into VR livery, why
hasn't at least one been restored into V/Line livery. This livery is now
part of history on this type of loco. And why are there no locos in 'Teacup"
livery, there are a few locos preserved that wore this livery, but have been
painted into VR livery. As it has been stated, S313 will be restored into VR
livery at a later date, so in my opinion it was a great publicity stunt by
Steamrail. The 1990's saw a new era unfold for the railfan - how many new
liveries did it produce just in Victoria. Personally the VR and V/Line
liveries don't interest me, don't get me wrong, I do actually like these
liveries, but they have been over published in the railfan media and with
the rainbow of colours around over the last few years it has certainly kept
my interest alive. If the hobby was still VR or V/Line dominated I for one
could not get motivation to go out and get what I have already photographed.
So maybe Steamrail was just adding a bit of flavor to the hobby.

Michael