Vic Traralgon line

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Having all this week off work, it has allowed me see some of the trains I don't normally see. This week has seen quite a few quad combos operate, possibly the most interesting was the up log train last night (3/2) with a P-P-T-T combo around 23.00. One block section behind this was the up Morwell freight with A??-X47.  On Wednesday (2/2) the down paper train passed with A85-X47-P20-X52 just after 15.00. That night X52-P20 combined with the up log train with the two T's to form a quad back to Melbourne, while A85 and X47 returned on the up Morwell freight.

Generally the following freight trains operate on the Traralgon line and their rough times past Murrumbeena.
00.00 down cement train to Lyndhurst usually with double locos from T, P or H classes.
01.30 return of the cement train.
03.00 up Paper train. Usually with a A-P or X-P combo.
05.30 down pioneer train to Westall with G543. This train dose not operate every day, but can run on any day of the week.
09.00 up empty Pioneer train.
15.00 down empty paper train with any type of combo from a single A to a quad. This train always has a P class which is later attached to the up log train.
21.00 down Morwell freight. P-A or P-X combo. The small engine always leads as they return on the paper train.
22.00 up Morwell freight with the engines off the earlier paper train.
There is also the up and down log trains, but not sure of their times. They often cross around this area, With Tuesday night seeing them cross outside my window. The down had two T's, while the up had three T's.
There is also a conditional train from Morwell. A light engine runs down in the Morning and returns either around 12.00 or 15.00.
There is also a conditional mini Pioneer train to Westall, passing on the down around 10.30 and returning on the up around 13.00. Usually a X or A class.
Generally the Pioneer and down paper trains are good time keepers, while the rest can often be many hours late. I have seen the up Morwell freight around 04.00 some mornings, or the up log train around this time.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Michael